Friday, January 31, 2014

Week 14 - The Last "Normal" Week

My group met at DTU to work on the BCI project and after lunch we finally got some decent results which was an answer to my prayer. I stuck around the university until it was time for me to bike to Copenhagen. I had been invited to see Catching Fire, the second part of the Hunger Games, with some friends from my church. It was my first time going to any theatre in Denmark and the room in which we watched the movie was smaller than what's usually found in the U.S. I think it was actually better this way and more cozy. Afterward a few of us went to McDonald's for some chicken nuggets and enjoyed some good discussion. Tuesday I prepared some for my optical biosensors presentation and then Skyped with my parents because my father doesn't work on Tuesdays. The presentation went fairly well and we discussed details for the upcoming exam. There were only three of us for the prayer group this week, but we met anyways (and in a different location than usual). I had lunch with Murray, one of the guys in the group, after we finished. I headed to library as usual, but this week I found Giorgia, a friend from my introduction week group. When we grew tired of studying we decided to find each other's homes and universities using the satellite mode of Google maps. Jose (also from my introduction week group) was nearby and joined us for this distraction from schoolwork. I took a quick nap for about 20 minutes before biking to Copenhagen to meet my life group. When I came home I realized I had a few bananas that needed to either be eaten that night or used for baking. So I decided to make some banana bread. I met with one of my groups in the morning to finish our imaging report and I brought the banana bread to share. It was a good thing that I did because two of the guys had stayed on campus over night working on a report they needed to finish for a different course and had not gotten much sleep or food. A few of us took a break for an abbreviated lecture to help us prepare for the exam. Then we had to rush to finish the report. To complicate matters we were working on the text on a Google document so we could all work on it at the same time and a few of the guys were piecing the report together through LaTex, software designed to produce nice looking reports. All the while we knew there was a wind storm headed towards Copenhagen. We had to submit the report right at 5 PM so I was still able to ride my bike home, but it was difficult on the last stretch of my route directly into the wind. Once safely back home I played some Nintendo 64 with Steffen (using my PS2 controllers, adapter and laptop) and then made my dinner. It was still very windy on Friday so I reluctantly took the bus for the first time since the culture night in Copenhagen. Our group received some feedback on one of our reports directly from our professor which was nice because we hadn't received any feedback on our reports up until this point (and it was good feedback). Since we were on campus and the semester was coming to an end we worked on the BCI project including developing a plan for next week and a direction for the report. 

Saturday evening in my kitchen I enjoyed a Danish Christmas dinner consisting of pork, potatoes, salad, meatballs, hot cocoa, and egg tarts (inspired by my half-Danish half-American neighbor). Then it started to snow, but what was falling was more like soft white hail. It was still good for a brief snow ball fight and a miniature snowman. Since my departure from Denmark was quickly approaching I had the opportunity, along with a few other students, to share about my time at the Christian Center and the impact it had on my life. We went out to lunch afterward to a kebab place, but this time to Oz Kebab which was much nicer (I was wondering why we had never gone there before). I finally did get the tools and hardware to fix Anjelli's bed, but had some difficulty getting to the apartment section above the church (not having any way of contacting her). One of my friends from Hungry helped me with the repairs and Anjelli was excited that she didn't have to worry about it collapsing anymore (it was particularly a risk for uninformed visitors).

No comments:

Post a Comment