Saturday, December 28, 2013

Week 12 - Chaotic Fun

We tried to start this week by working on our signal processing report but Maggie's kitchen floor was being professionally cleaned and we had to take a break and a long one at that. I actually got to Skype with Jared, one of my good friends from high school, on Tuesday and we had a lot to catch up on because we unfortunately don't talk that often. I may get to see him shortly after I return home, but I'll have to plan ahead if that's going to happen. That signal processing report that we didn't work on much on Monday needed to be wrapped up and submitted Tuesday so we set out to accomplish that. Then I nearly forgot about my biosensors presentation for Wednesday morning so I stayed up late putting that together and then was feeling too tired to rehearse it much. That showed when I gave the presentation, but my instructor was gracious enough to help me along during the discussion that followed. I ran into Giorgia at the international affairs office because we both needed to talk to them and we decided to have lunch together. Later Jose joined us who was also from our introduction week group. I joined the prayer group and then went to the library for the afternoon. I also had talked with a girl living in one of the dormitories near DTU and she needed some plates and cups for her place. One of my neighbors had found some that were being thrown out which subsequently sat in their boxes in the corner of our kitchen for a month or so. I had checked with that neighbor and he said I could do whatever I wanted with them so I decided to pick the best dishes and give them away. I cleaned them all really well of course before giving them and the time was well worth it. That same night I experienced some bike problems which I had noticed to a much lesser degree during the preceding days. I was doubtful that I would find an open bike shop on my way to my life group, but just before I reached my destination I saw one with its lights still on. The man working there was quite friendly and even though he wanted to go home soon he fixed a number of things on my bike that needed some attention. The main problem that he fixed was the chain, which was loose so he replaced it and it has never since skipped or come off the gears. Again the life group attendance was low, but we had a good discussion probably due to the fact there were only three of us. Thursday I got to sleep in and then biked to DTU for my imaging lecture. Our time in the computer lab I would describe as chaotic but fun. We weren't working that efficiently, but we enjoyed the time we spent together. I was supposed to have an interview with a software development company, but after verifying the time I never received the call. Perhaps it was not meant to be.
Friday night I made some sugar cookies (a recipe sent from home) with Steffen, one of my neighbors, who was kind enough to help. Later I also tried to make eggnog, but failed when I poured the nearly boiling milk into the egg/sugar mixture too quickly. Needless the say the eggs actually cooked a little which resulted in a chunky mixture. The cookies and eggnog were for a Christmas dinner that I was hosting for my introduction week group. If you're doing the math, this Friday actually is before Thanksgiving which was strange for me to be celebrating Christmas so early. However, that was the latest date that all of us from the group could meet for a dinner. It turned out really well though once everyone found their way to my place. It's not the easiest place to find which Matt, Maggie and I all have personally experienced. So I took care of a few more preparations for the dinner and then greeted people. We were each supposed to bring or make a traditional Christmas dish from our country which resulted in an abundance of food as well as some cooking chaos. We were able to all squeeze together at a single table and the order of the evening was the main course, hot drinks, dessert, and clean up. The next morning I went to a conference at the Christian center focused on the importance of life groups which I found to be beneficial. They had a series of general sessions and then some smaller classes or workshops. Being the last Sunday of the month it was super Sunday at which Steve, the main speaker from the conference, gave the message. Some of the young adults went out to a kebab place for lunch as we often do and then Anjelli invited us to her apartment for coffee and ice cream. We had a good long discussion about many things one of which was relationships. I then made home in time to Skype with my parents to finish the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment