Monday, December 23, 2013

Week 11 - Movies and Food

November the 5th happened to fall within this week so I decided to plan a movie night with my neighbors to watch V for Vendetta. There are a number of quotable lines in the movie, but one in particular was the reason for watching the movie on the 5th of November. "Remember, remember the fifth of November the gun powder treason and plot. I see no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot" said the character named V. With it being fall it seemed fitting to make some caramel corn so I gathered all the necessary ingredients, but not without some difficulty. The evening turned out well and later I even had the opportunity to  Skype with my parents. Wednesday I went earlier than usual to DTU to work on the BCI project in lab. I joined the prayer group soon after we finished and when the others had to go to their classes. I followed my usual routine of working in the library for rest of the afternoon and then biked off to my life group. A couple of things that were out of the ordinary this week include setting up my PC to receive and make phone calls and making anatomical slices of our tissue sample for medical imaging. We needed the cross-sectional slices to compare to the medical images we had taken of the same tissue sample earlier in the semester and that would be the topic of our report for the whole semester. I enjoyed lunch with Josh on Friday and my group's work with the BCI went well for a change. We had been running into problem after problem for a while and were getting a little discouraged so this work day helped us along. Often times I plan things well in advance, but Friday night I didn't really have any plans so when one of my neighbors asked if anyone wanted to watch a movie I decided a spontaneous decision would be good. We ended up watching Despicable Me 2 which neither of us had seen and we both enjoyed it. I also spontaneously planned to make cornmeal pancakes Saturday morning for a few other neighbors and experimented with a grape syrup which turned into something like jam when it was cool. Later this same day one of my friends at a different, distant dormitory had an event planned called "swap and trade". I had a few things to donate and ended up finding a few things I could use so it worked out exactly as it was meant to. This same friend is all for making things sustainable and part of that includes giving away things. He also goes dumpster diving for food, but that's mainly because Denmark has strict regulations on when to throw out food and often the food is still very good. I had to bike back into a strong wind and some rain, but I made it eventually back home. I was especially thankful to have a warm, dry apartment to go back to. I spent the rest of the day actually learning about Java programming which had been something of interest to me, but I had never had any courses that ever touched on it. I ushered at the Christian center as usual, but this week we had a guest speaker from Ireland. He had a humorous and entertaining way of presenting his message, but toward the end it became more serious when he drove the message home which I think was appropriate. To finish off the week I returned home to Amalia, my Greek neighbor, and about five of her Greek friends. They invited me to join them for dinner and I prepared a fruit salad to contribute. We had a great time and among other things I learned that Greeks really love their food.

No comments:

Post a Comment